Tomato and Basil Bisque
Posted on May 17 2020
Ok here we go!! Its Bisque time!
1 tbsp Olive oil
1 cup Diced Onion
1/2 cup Celery Diced
1/2 tsp Paprika smoked
1 pinch Cayenne
3 tbsp Jasmine Rice
1 tsp Sugar
1/2 cup whipping cream
2 tbsp Fresh Basil
1 pinch Salt
3 cloves Garlic Chopped
1 litre Vegetabel broth
1 (28oz)can Crushed Tomatoes
Note: Add sugar, salt, and pepper in small amounts to your taste
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot on medium heat and stir in the onion, celery, with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until they have softened and are translucent.
2. Pour in broth and tomatoes and bring to a simmer, and add the smoked paprika, pepper, and cayenne.
3. Turn the heat down to low and add the rice and stir. This needs to simmer for 30-45 minutes to cook the rice and bring the flavours together. Feel free to taste and add more sugar in small amounts. This cuts the acidic flavour from the tomatoes.
4. If you have an immersion blender, use it to blend everything smooth and add the cream and basil. If you don't you'll have to cool the soup a little and blend it in a blender to make it smooth and creamy and put back into the cooking pot. Its a little more work and makes a mess, but just rinse things right after use and its not that bad.
5. Simmer to thicken, if its too thick then add some broth or a little water.
I recommend a grilled cheese sandwich with this soup or our 4 ingredient dutch oven bread, its heavenly!
Thank you to my husband the chef for making this soup!