Strawberry rubarb pie
Posted on April 24 2021
We must have a pie. Stress cannot exist in the presence of a pie. - David Mamet
Strawberry and Rhubarb pie
1 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp corn starch
2 cups Rhubarb
2 cups Strawberries
1 cup white sugar
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup butter
1 Tsp Lemon juice
1/2 Tsp cinnamon
One egg white
Two Pie shells
1 Tsp Vanilla extract
- Finely chop the Rhubarb and strawberries and put them in a bowl. Add the white sugar, 1 Tsp of Vanilla extract, Lemon juice and cinnamon. Add the 1 Tbsp of water with the 1 Tbsp corn starch and mix and then add it to the mixture. Mix this thoroughly and let sit for 30 minutes. ( II like to drain a little bit of the fluid off of the mixture after and also add more corn starch to thicken the mixture ).
- In a pot, add the butter, brown sugar, and the vanilla extract. Bring the mixture to a boil and let it sit.
- Add the caramel mixture to the pie mixture.
- Put one pie crust in a pie bowl and then add the mixture in. You can top it with the other pie crust or make a design.
- Mix a little bit of water to the egg white and brush it to the top crust. Then sprinkle a little bit of sugar on top.
- Preheat the oven to 425F, Put Tin Foil to cover the pie and bake for 15 minutes.
- Set oven for 350F, remove the Tin Foil and bake for 30-35 minutes. (Bake to desired browning of the crust)